Skip to main content

Cilantro Pesto Recipe

When it comes to pesto, I wing it. Most pesto recipes are so stingy with ingredient amounts they never have enough of what we like in them so I always change the recipe to suit our taste.

When it comes to pesto, I don't measure exact amounts of anything, I go by consistency and taste, but I'll give you a general rundown.

You will need to have the following ingredients on hand.
Cilantro, pine nuts, sunflower seeds or pepitas (nuts must be unsalted raw), fresh garlic, EVOO, fluer de sel or sea salt, lime juice and a good aged Asiago or Parmesan cheese.
If you use a prepared, grated Parmesan cheese with Kraft on the label, a pox on you!

In your food processor or blender toss in the first 4 ingredients.

1: One bunch of washed and dried, roughly chopped cilantro, stems and all
Cut away the biggest bottom stems & toss, they're tough and will spoil the pesto

2: Two or three smashed cloves of garlic
More can be added once you taste it and find out just how hot your garlic really is - Remember, you never can trust a clove of garlic (or a red onion for that matter)

3: A mixture of 1/2 pine nuts and 1/2 sunflower seeds.
Start with about 2 TBL spoons of each, I sometimes use more just because I like the nutty flavor. You may also use a mix of pine nuts and pepitas.

4: Enough EVOO to make it all blend in the food processor
Start with less, say a 1/2 cup, add as you go until the slurry blends freely.

5: Once the above 4 ingredients are blended, add between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup of grated Asiago/Parmesan cheese and blend some more.
The key is the right amount of EVOO and cheese to get a slightly thick, yet slightly runny slurry.
(If you even dare to use Kraft Parmesan a double pox on you!)


6: Add salt and lime juice to taste. I start with about 1 tsp of lime juice and add more by little dribbles until it tastes balanced.

Once that's done, give it another taste and then add more garlic, cheese or nuts until you are satisfied with the pesto's flavor.

Storage: I store mine in 1 cup canning jars that are freezer safe. Once the pesto has settled in the jar poor a thin layer of EVOO over the top to lock out the air. You can keep it in the fridge for at least a month or freeze it for up to a year.

When you're ready to use it scrape back the top layer of EVOO and scoop out the pesto. Even out the pesto remaining in the jar and re spread the EVOO over the top.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marc Chagall, Painter of Symbols

I was recently shopping calendars at Barns & Noble when I came across a Marc Chagall edition. I fell in love with his symbolism, which I have been researching the past few days. His frequently repeated subject matter was drawn from Jewish life and folklore; he was particularly fond of flower and animal symbols Use of symbolism I gleaned from the web, in most cases I've tried to add my own thoughts. I'm not an art historian so my thoughts are just my thoughts. Personally the notion that the horses in Chagall's paintings only represent freedom seems absurd. Horses were work animals, they plowed fields and pulled carriages and wagons. Nearly every painting with a horse it seems to portray strength, support, commitment and loyality. In one painting the horse is painted directly on the crotch of the male subject... duh, looks like sexual prouness to me. Cow : Substainer of life. Another notion is that Chagall is striving to unite the bestial and the rational, the spontan...

Making Malt Vinegar ©

Malt vinegar is made from malted barley. Rather than malt my own barley, which I do not know how to do, I decided to use a bottle of Guinness and 1 cup of Braggs Apple cider vinegar. Braggs is a living vinegar and as the starter should do the trick fairly quick and easy. I began my vinegar on February 18th by pouring the Guinness and Braggs into a small crock and placing it in the pantry. I covered the crock with a cotton fabric to keep dust and such out and let air, wild yeast and such in. By February 24 a short 5 days later I checked my concoction and found a mother was forming! The vinegar mother was not a solid layer, but a bunch of small globules floating on the top... so I guess I didn't have a mother, I had a litter *L* It was only a couple more days before I had a healthy mother completely covering the top of my Malt Vinegar. Now some people say when the mother sinks the vinegar is finished. When brewing other vinegars I never went by the "sink theory", I go by t...

Picnicking with the Governor

We went to the picnic at Governor Strickland's residence (that would be Governor of Ohio, Ted Strickland) Anyhow, it was cool to be invited , it made me feel a little "A" Listish. The best part was the adorable turtle in his pond. He was a curious little fellow who kept popping his head above the water to watch the people walk by. The Governor's gardens were mostly impressive and we enjoyed strolling about. I say mostly because my-oh-my the rose garden was pitiful. This is the Governor by God, his roses should be fabulous or not none at all. The rose garden could cause me to change my vote... On the other hand - The solar system was to die for and the green house made me earth-green with envy. The solar system and green house could cause me to change my vote... It did my heart good to see the Governor's garden was also plagued with Japanese Beetles. At least I know he's not spraying heavy pesticides. Matt did talk with "Ted," I sat that one out, ...