Skip to main content

To be, or not to be? A matter of moles....


To Be -or- Not To Be? I have a cute little mole living in my vermicompost bin. The question is, do I let him "BE" while he does what moles do best, eat 65 lbs of nasty grubs annually? Or do I "NOT TO BE", considering I would have ...to screen in my worm/compost bin because they also eat about 45 lbs of earthworms per year.

For a time I let my little mole live, every now and again I would see him scurry for cover when I turned the compost. I thought he was cute, seeing wildlife in action is fascinating, enlightening... a pleasure (most of the time). One day, while turning the compost, I noticed the number of worms in my bin seemed to have diminished, I was busy and didn't give it much thought. A few days later my husband, Matt, also noticed the worm population seemed to have decreased. Still the light didn't dawn.

Shortly thereafter my sister was visiting and between her, the dog and I, we managed to kill "the mole" (it was like a scene from Psycho, minus the shower curtain and the scary man dressed up like an old lady) Linda and I were armed with pitchforks, we both were stabbing just like two frenzied Anthony Perkins into the worm bin and when the little varmint nearly got away the dog saved the day by jumping into the bin, he grabbed the mole and tossed him into the vegetable garden. Linda and I ran after the flying mole and begin our Anthony Perkins impersonation in the middle of the bean patch. I was unsure, but Linda felt quite positive she got the worm eating vermin.
Two days later I was dumping scraps into the compost bin and there was another one... mole and ensuing scene from Psycho, this time without the shower curtain, sister or dog. I did the deed myself and felt a little sorry for the compost bin squatter. At least the worm population was finally safe.

Oh no my friend, contrary to what I believed, it was not over... a few days later, just to be on the safe side, my sister and I went armed with a plan and pitchforks. I pulled back the bin cover and Linda was on the ready with her pitchfork. Holy squirming masses, the bin was alive with moles, think not of Psycho, but "The Birds" moles, moles and more moles. More than I could count (but then they were moving which makes counting much more difficult). This time it was more like a scene from "I Love Lucy". Moles, pitchforks and two middle aged ladies bumping into each other and shouting directions to the dog, the moles and each other. The amazing thing is that they all managed to escape our frantic pitchfork jabbing.

I've learned where there is one mole they is sure to be two... then three... then five... I also learned that soon after there will be no worms where there used to be squirmy globs of them.
We emptied the worm bin contents into the garden, lined the bottom of the bin with metal mesh and started over. My thriving worm bin has not recovered yet, but it will and when it's healthy and squiggly they will be safe.

Comments

gedert said…
omg! I am so happy you shared this, I laughed so hard!
Now in the spring I need to go check and see who is living at teh bottom on our compost bin!

Popular posts from this blog

Marc Chagall, Painter of Symbols

I was recently shopping calendars at Barns & Noble when I came across a Marc Chagall edition. I fell in love with his symbolism, which I have been researching the past few days. His frequently repeated subject matter was drawn from Jewish life and folklore; he was particularly fond of flower and animal symbols Use of symbolism I gleaned from the web, in most cases I've tried to add my own thoughts. I'm not an art historian so my thoughts are just my thoughts. Personally the notion that the horses in Chagall's paintings only represent freedom seems absurd. Horses were work animals, they plowed fields and pulled carriages and wagons. Nearly every painting with a horse it seems to portray strength, support, commitment and loyality. In one painting the horse is painted directly on the crotch of the male subject... duh, looks like sexual prouness to me. Cow : Substainer of life. Another notion is that Chagall is striving to unite the bestial and the rational, the spontan

Making Malt Vinegar ©

Malt vinegar is made from malted barley. Rather than malt my own barley, which I do not know how to do, I decided to use a bottle of Guinness and 1 cup of Braggs Apple cider vinegar. Braggs is a living vinegar and as the starter should do the trick fairly quick and easy. I began my vinegar on February 18th by pouring the Guinness and Braggs into a small crock and placing it in the pantry. I covered the crock with a cotton fabric to keep dust and such out and let air, wild yeast and such in. By February 24 a short 5 days later I checked my concoction and found a mother was forming! The vinegar mother was not a solid layer, but a bunch of small globules floating on the top... so I guess I didn't have a mother, I had a litter *L* It was only a couple more days before I had a healthy mother completely covering the top of my Malt Vinegar. Now some people say when the mother sinks the vinegar is finished. When brewing other vinegars I never went by the "sink theory", I go by t

Snow is fun - Ice is scary ©

We woke up to -14 this morning. That's not a very nice way to greet the birthday girl. (yes today is my birthday) I don't even know what it is with windchill factored in *shivers* 20 below maybe? 25? I worry my mom's poodle with freeze her little poodle ass before she gets her "business" done. I love the snow and we still have plenty of it, but it's hard to get my head around 14 below. There is ice on the inside of some of our windows, ice I tell you... ice forming inside our house. I tried to talk Matt out of going to work, I told him not to drive near any water... why? Because if you slide off the road that's not so bad.. but if you slide off the road into water... now that's bad, really bad. OK, I admit that I have an abnormally deep fear of "Black Ice" (you have to say "Black Ice" with a creepy ominous voice) They always warn you to be careful of "Black Ice", they say you can't see "Black Ice", and that