Skip to main content

Watching the inauguration

Like millions all over the globe, I spent the morning watching the inauguration of Barack H. Obama:

Loved President Obama's speech:
Our challenges may be new. The instruments with which we meet them may be new. But those values upon which our success depends - hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism - these things are old. These things are true. They have been the quiet force of progress throughout our history. What is demanded then is a return to these truths. What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility - a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task.

Loved Elisabeth Alexander's poem:
Some live by "Love thy neighbor as thy self."
Others by first do no harm, or take no more than you need.
What if the mightiest word is love, love beyond marital, filial, national. Love that casts a widening pool of light. Love with no need to preempt grievance.


Loved the benediction by Rev. Lowery:
"God of our weary years, God of our silent tears, thou who has brought us thus far along the way, thou who has by thy might led us into the light, keep us forever in the path, we pray, lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met thee, lest our hearts, drunk with the wine of the world, we forget thee. Shadowed beneath thy hand may we forever stand -- true to thee, O God, and true to our native land...

What I didn't love: The prayer (Invocation) by Rev. Rick Warren:
I have never met a fundamentalist minister that could resist the urge to preach when they pray... that just chaps my hide. A prayer is to God, a sermon is to the people, and (in my opinion) never the twain shall meet.
Do we really need to quote scripture to God? No, once you start quoting the bible you've gone from heavenward to outward. That must be for all the idiots out there that don't know as much as you know. Perhaps on the off chance they will come to the Lord because of your sermon, I mean prayer, I mean sermon.... what were you doing again?
Do we really need to tell God everything belongs to him and exist for his glory? Being God I figure he knows that, so why does Warren say it? Because he is not praying... he is preaching with his head bowed.
P.S. Don't you think someone should have told him to get a haircut? Doesn't he have a wife?

The dumbest thing said:
A statement by Katie Couric, after Biden was sworn in and while Yo-Yo Ma along with the others performed "Air and Simple Gifts" she said that Obama had not yet been sworn in, but Biden had been, therefore VP Joe Biden was actually the President.
What the fuck Chuck???
Could Katie have had a blonder moment?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marc Chagall, Painter of Symbols

I was recently shopping calendars at Barns & Noble when I came across a Marc Chagall edition. I fell in love with his symbolism, which I have been researching the past few days. His frequently repeated subject matter was drawn from Jewish life and folklore; he was particularly fond of flower and animal symbols Use of symbolism I gleaned from the web, in most cases I've tried to add my own thoughts. I'm not an art historian so my thoughts are just my thoughts. Personally the notion that the horses in Chagall's paintings only represent freedom seems absurd. Horses were work animals, they plowed fields and pulled carriages and wagons. Nearly every painting with a horse it seems to portray strength, support, commitment and loyality. In one painting the horse is painted directly on the crotch of the male subject... duh, looks like sexual prouness to me. Cow : Substainer of life. Another notion is that Chagall is striving to unite the bestial and the rational, the spontan

Snow is fun - Ice is scary ©

We woke up to -14 this morning. That's not a very nice way to greet the birthday girl. (yes today is my birthday) I don't even know what it is with windchill factored in *shivers* 20 below maybe? 25? I worry my mom's poodle with freeze her little poodle ass before she gets her "business" done. I love the snow and we still have plenty of it, but it's hard to get my head around 14 below. There is ice on the inside of some of our windows, ice I tell you... ice forming inside our house. I tried to talk Matt out of going to work, I told him not to drive near any water... why? Because if you slide off the road that's not so bad.. but if you slide off the road into water... now that's bad, really bad. OK, I admit that I have an abnormally deep fear of "Black Ice" (you have to say "Black Ice" with a creepy ominous voice) They always warn you to be careful of "Black Ice", they say you can't see "Black Ice", and that

Making Malt Vinegar ©

Malt vinegar is made from malted barley. Rather than malt my own barley, which I do not know how to do, I decided to use a bottle of Guinness and 1 cup of Braggs Apple cider vinegar. Braggs is a living vinegar and as the starter should do the trick fairly quick and easy. I began my vinegar on February 18th by pouring the Guinness and Braggs into a small crock and placing it in the pantry. I covered the crock with a cotton fabric to keep dust and such out and let air, wild yeast and such in. By February 24 a short 5 days later I checked my concoction and found a mother was forming! The vinegar mother was not a solid layer, but a bunch of small globules floating on the top... so I guess I didn't have a mother, I had a litter *L* It was only a couple more days before I had a healthy mother completely covering the top of my Malt Vinegar. Now some people say when the mother sinks the vinegar is finished. When brewing other vinegars I never went by the "sink theory", I go by t